Getting an Indian passport is not a tedious process anymore. Government of India has streamlined the process by introducing onlineapplications. Whether it is for issue of a fresh passport or for passport renewal, an online application will suffice. Knowing how to apply for Indian passport will make your plans for overseas trips less cumbersome.
Steps involved in submitting Online Passport Application
• The first step involved in obtaining an Indian passport is to register with the Online Passport Seva Portal. (passportindia.gov.in) Click on the link, ‘New User Registration.’
• While registering, you will be asked to create your Used ID and password for future use. Using this ID, log in to your account, and click on the link, ‘Apply for Fresh Passport.’
• Fill in the required details and submit the application form.
• After submission of online passport application, the next step is to schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra.
• For this, click on the link, ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment.’ For booking an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra, it is mandatory to make prior online fee payment.
• Online fee can be paid through credit/debit cards, internet banking, or through SBI Challans. After paying the fees, you are allowed to choose your nearest Passport Seva Kendra. Select a time slot convenient for you.
• Click on ‘Print Application Receipt,’ to get a printed copy of your application number. Carry this number with you to the Passport Seva Kendra, on the allotted date and time. Carry all the original documents along with you, for the purpose of verification.
While thinking about how to apply for Indian passport, we should also know what all documents have to be submitted. For a hassle-free issuance, it is mandatory that the documents are in order.
Proof of Address
As a proof of address, any of the following can be presented before the online passport seva authorities:
• Water bill
• Landline or post-paid mobile bill
• Electricity bill
• Election Photo ID card(Voter ID)
• Proof of gas connection
• Income Tax Assessment Order
• Aadhar Card
• Rent agreement
• Photo passbook of running bank account
• Certificate from employer of reputed companies on letter head
Proof of Date Of Birth
As a proof of age, any of the following documents can be submitted:
• Birth certificate issued by the prescribed authority
• School Leaving Certificate/ Secondary School Leaving Certificate
• Aadhar Card
• PAN Card
• Election Photo ID Card
• Driving license
• Extract from service record of the applicant
In addition to this, in case of passport renewal, a copy of the old passport has to be submitted. In case the applicant is a minor, a copy of the parents’ passport is also required.
General guidelines to know prior applying for Fresh Passport
For understanding how to apply for Indian passport without committing any errors, keeping in mind a few guidelines might help.
• If the applicant does not visit the Passport Seva Kendra within 90 days of submitting online passport application, the application becomes invalid, and it will have to be resubmitted.
• If you need passport urgently, you can apply for the Tatkalpassport wherein the process of issue is expedited. In case of Tatkal applications, the applicant gets the passport within one working day excluding the submission of online passport application. Additional fees have to be paid for Tatkal applications.
• In most cases of fresh issue of passport, a police verification is needed for approval of application. This is done after the submission of application form and related documents. However, in case of passport renewal, police verification may not be required. In case of fresh Tatkal passports, police verification is generally done post issuance.
If you are not aware of how to apply for Indian passport, approaching some of the best travel agencies is a great option you can try. Fortune Tours, the best tour operators in Kochi
can help you out in this regard, taking you through the entire process by making it simpler for you.